Firefighters Museum

The Origin of the Albany Firefighters Museum

A group led by active and retired Albany (NY) Firefighters formed in 2014 to preserve the history of over 150 years of professional fire service protecting the City of Albany, New York.  The Albany Firefighters Museum is a completely independent and non-profit organization with the goals of showcasing Albany's firefighting past, increasing fire safety awareness and interest in firefighting.

The organization seeks to establishing a self-sustaining permanent museum within Albany to collect, restore and display appropriate Albany Fire Department artifacts, preferably in a fire-department related structure. 

On 14 April 2015, the Albany Firefighters Museum was granted a Charter by the NYS Education Department.  The IRS has also confirmed our Museum as 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit status, allowing both tax exempt status and allowing any donations received to be tax deductible to the donor.

2108 Board of Directors
Chairman: William J. Tobler,
Treasurer: Jonathan C. Tobler, Secretary: Timothy S. Blaney, Directors: Warren W. Abriel, Jr. [Chief AFD], Jeremy E. Clawson, Frederick T. Peters, Michael R. Tobler, Spiro Socaris, Justin B. Gershon, Peter Walsh

Membership Drive is underway

On 01 June 2016, the 149th anniversary of the formation of the paid Albany Fire Department (1867), our first membership drive began with a Meet-and-Greet gathering in the Small banquet room at McGeary's Irish Pub, 4 Clinton Square, Albany, NY.  The outpouring of support for the museum by current and retired Albany firefighters was gladly appreciated. 

More information on this and other events at PAST EVENTS.


The history of firefighting in the City of Albany is more than just firefighting equipment, apparatus and facilities - it has and will always be the history of the men and women who use those tools and risk their lives to help others.   

Since 1870, 44 Albany firefighters have lost their lives in the performance of their duties.  Two bronze plaques located at AFD Headquarters at 26 Broad St, commemorate their service.

Last Update: 26 June 2017

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software